People are being encouraged to give their views on the first stage of shaping a new strategy for the development of West Northamptonshire over the next 30 years.
Daventry District Council, Northampton Borough Council, South Northamptonshire Council and Northamptonshire County Council are working together on the West Northamptonshire Strategic Plan, which will set out the direction of economic and population growth for the area up to the year 2050.
The new plan will follow on from the West Northamptonshire Joint Core Strategy published five years ago, which needs updating to reflect revised national policies and changing local circumstances. These include plans for a new West Northamptonshire unitary authority and the area’s location within the Oxford-Cambridge Arc which the government has identified as an area of significant economic potential.
Residents are invited to give their feedback on an ‘Issues Consultation Paper’, an early-stage document which aims to stimulate an initial public debate about what sort of things the new Strategic Plan should consider, such as housing requirements, priorities for economic development and community infrastructure needs.
The consultation runs from 5 August until 11 October 2019 and the Issues paper can be viewed online at westnorthantsplan.inconsult.uk along with a questionnaire to complete.
People will also be able to give their views at a series of public exhibitions in Northampton, Daventry District, Brackley and Towcester during September, where officers from the Joint Planning Unit, which represents the four councils, will be on hand to talk to and answer queries.
Councillor Mike Warren, Chairman of the West Northamptonshire Joint Planning and Infrastructure Programme Board, which is co-ordinating the Plan on behalf of the councils, said: “Since the Joint Core Strategy was adopted five years ago, there have been significant changes to national and local circumstances, meaning its policies on key issues such as future housing requirement and economic growth need to be updated.
“A new Strategic Plan is required to review and update these policies and build upon the vision for the growth of West Northamptonshire over the next 30 years.
“At this early stage we are encouraging people to tell us what they think are the issues facing their local communities in the face of future growth.
“This is by no means the last chance that residents will have to give their feedback, but the responses from this consultation will go a long way in moving our work on the new Plan forward.”
How to take part in the Issues Consultation:
- Copies will be available for viewing in all the local public libraries across West Northamptonshire area from the week commencing 12 August. Locations and opening times are available on the county council’s website
You can view the document at the councils’ offices:
- Daventry District Council, Lodge Road, Daventry NN11 4FP
- Northampton Borough Council, The Guildhall, St Giles’ Square, Northampton NN1 1DE
- Northamptonshire County Council, ONE Angel Square, Northampton, NN1 1ED
- South Northamptonshire Council, The Forum, Moat Lane, Towcester, NN12 6AD.
People can visit public exhibitions where officers will be present to answer questions:
- Towcester - The Forum, Moat Lane (NN12 6AD) on Tuesday 10 September from 2-7pm
- Northampton - The Guidhall Court Room, St Giles' Square (NN1 1DE) on Wednesday 11 September from 2-7pm
- Daventry - Town Council offices, New Street (NN11 4BT) on Monday 16 September from 2-7pm
- Northampton - The Guidhall Court Room, St Giles' Square (NN1 1DE) on Tuesday 17 September from 2-7pm
- Naseby - Village Hall, Haselbech Road (NN6 6DE) on Wednesday 18 September from 2-7pm
- Brackley - Town Hall, High Street (NN13 7DS) on Thursday 19 September from 2-7pm.