Conservation areas designated in Braunston and Kilsby

Braunston avatar.jpg

Historic parts of the villages of Braunston and Kilsby have greater protection following the completion of the latest Conservation Area appraisals.

A new Conservation Area has been designated in Kilsby, focussed in the centre of the village and covering parts of Manor Road, Church Walk, Watling Street, Chapel Lane, Main Road and Essen Lane.

And in Braunston the boundary of the existing Conservation Area, which covers much of the historic village as well as Braunston Marina and a section of the Grand Union Canal, has been amended to align it with modern plot boundaries.

The Conservation Areas were designated following their approval by Daventry District Council (DDC) at a meeting of Full Council on 6 December.

As well as designating the boundary of the conservation areas, councillors agreed to adopt both the Braunston and Kilsby Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Plans as supplementary planning documents.

This means they will now be used to help determine planning decisions affecting the conservation areas.

The appraisals identify a number of potential ‘Article 4’ directions which could be put in place to protect historic features in specific locations in the villages. These will be further explored.

They also identify a number of properties which have been added to the ‘Local List’, meriting them further recognition in the planning process.

Designation as a conservation area puts in place tighter planning controls for anyone seeking permission to alter or demolish a building, or carry out work to trees, in order to maintain the special interest of the area.

The conservation of Braunston and Kilsby was looked at as part of a wider review of the District’s conservation areas. The review looks at whether the existing areas are fit for purpose, as well as whether to introduce new areas.

The newly adopted appraisal and conservation area boundaries for Braunston and Kilsby can be viewed at

Anyone with questions about planning controls should contact the Council’s Development Control Service.