The new-look 123+ collection service was agreed by the Council in July 2016 following public consultation and a wide-ranging review of future waste and recycling options launched in summer 2015.
The public consultation on the 2018 waste options proposals ran from 12 February until 31 March 2016.
Nearly 1,000 people gave their feedback during the consultation, and a report on the findings and the next steps for the service was considered by the Council's Strategy Group on 14 July, 2016.
Refer to item 7 on the Strategy Group report on the future of Environmental Services 14 JulyThe report is item 7 on the agenda and includes the results of the consultation.
Daventry Norse Environmental Services
Norse Commercial Services Ltd is owned by Norfolk County Council and already provides services with 15 other local authorities, including Wellingborough. Under the new contract, the Council and Norse will share ownership and control of the joint venture to deliver, shape and improve the following frontline services:
- Waste and recycling collections for households and businesses
- Street cleaning – litter picking and street sweeping on public roads and paths, emptying litter and dog bins
- Grounds maintenance, such as cutting grass and maintaining trees, bushes on roadsides and Council land and maintaining play equipment
- Clearing fly-tipping and removing graffiti in public areas
- Maintaining Daventry Country Park
- Operating public toilets in Daventry town centre
- Preparing burial plots
The Daventry Norse venture will also involve significant investment in facilities and equipment for environmental services, including a new fleet of vehicles, machinery and equipment and the redevelopment of the environmental depot and offices at High March Daventry.
About Norse Commercial Services
- Started in 1990, Norse Commercial Services is a £200 million turnover company, employing over 10,000 people across England and Wales, and enjoying the long-term financial security of a £2billion+ forward order book.
- The company operates 15 joint ventures with local authorities and provides contract services direct to a wide range of public and private sector clients. Through its unique and powerful combination of public sector ethos and commercial flair, it has built a reputation for cost efficiency, quality and innovation in service delivery.
- In the last five years alone Norse has saved the public purse over £70million, whilst helping to protect front line services, provide job security and generate much needed income for financially stretched local authority partners.
- Norse is committed to responsible business and to thinking about how the services it delivers can improve economic, social and environmental wellbeing. The Norse Way is the Group’s social responsibility strategy is shaped around what matters most to our staff, the business, and wider society and includes strengthening communities, improving skills, being dementia friendly and kind to the environment, buying locally and sustainably and shaping everything we do according to our four values – Quality, Innovation, Respect and Trust.
- Norse provides services including Facilities Management, Cleaning, Catering, Environmental, Waste Collection, Transport, Building Maintenance, Care Equipment, Engineering, Printing, Grounds Maintenance and Security.