If you are seeking accommodation it is advisable to consider your options. Privately renting is a popular option, generally quite quick to obtain and offers a variety of choice.
If you are not in work or on a low income you may be able to get some help to cover your rental payments. Payment of housing benefit will depend on your family make-up in accordance with the local housing allowance. It is very important if you qualify for benefits to check that a privately rented property is affordable. For a single person up to the age of 35, you will only be entitled to the value of a room rent.
There are a number of ways to source a privately rented property
- Look in local newspapers
- Look in shop windows
- Visit agencies, eg rental agents, accommodation agents, estate agents
- Through word of mouth
- Bidding on suitable, advertised private properties through Daventry HomeChoice
If you are considering privately renting you should make appropriate arrangements to ensure
- You can pay a deposit - expect this to be a minimum of one months rent
- You can pay the first months rent in advance
- You are able to afford the monthly rent
- You can afford your utility bills
Please also be aware that you may be required to pay for credit reference searches and other admin charges.