Section 21 Notices

Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness as a result of a Section 21 Notice?


Serving a Section 21 Notice is the most common way for a private landlord to begin possession of their property. Your landlord doesn't need a reason to end your tenancy through a Section 21 Notice.


Your landlord must ensure that they follow the correct procedures to evict you through a Section 21 Notice, including:

  • Giving you at least 2 months notice

  • Serving notice on the prescribed form (Form 6a, Section 21 Housing Act 1988)

  • Serving notice after the first 4 months of the tenancy

  • Ensuring they have provided you with prescribed legal requirments & documents (energy performance certificate, gas safety certificate, 'How to Rent' guide, and details of how your deposit has been protected)


If your landlord has served you with a Section 21 Notice, you should make contact with the Housing Options Team as soon as possible to consider your future housing options.


The Housing Options Team may be able to help you to prevent your homelessness in various ways, including:


  • Negotiating with your landlord to keep you in your current property

  • Seeking alternative privately rented properties

  • Referring you to debt and budget support to maximise your income

  • Checking whether you're claiming all of the benefits you are entitled to

  • Advising you about social housing


If you have recieved a Section 21 Notice from your landlord, please contact us as soon as possible.

   01327 871100

   Daventry District Council, Lodge Road, Daventry, NN11 4FP

   Mon-Thurs 9-5, Fri 9-4:30 

Are you a professional looking to refer a service user?

If you are a professional working with a person who has been served notice by their landlord, you are able to refer them to us by using the Duty to Refer.