Mortgage & Rent Arrears

Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness as a result of mortgage arrears?


If you are worried that you are struggling to make mortgage payments, you are in arrears, or you are worried about falling behind with payments, you should contact your lender as soon as possible. Your lender should consider what they can do to keep you in your home, and only pursue possession as a last resort.

Contacting your lender

Your lender may be able to consider the following:

  • Reducing your payments for a set period

  • Giving you a 'payment holiday'

  • Charging you interest only for a set period

  • Extending your mortgage term to reduce your payments

  • Helping you to find a better interest rate

  • Giving you time to sell your home, instead of repossession  


Working out a budget

Working out a budget can help you look at ways to make savings or increase your income to enable you maintain your mortgage payments. You should pay as much as you can towards your mortgage payments, and you should let your lender know as soon as possible why you can't pay the full amount.

You can work out your budget with a range of online budget planner tools:


Maximising your income

Consider increasing your income in various ways, including:

  • Checking whether you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to with a benefits calculator  

  • Checking if you are eligible for the Support for Mortgage Interest Loan

  • Checking whether your mortgage payments are covered by your insurance

  • Considering taking in a lodger  

Getting FREE, independent advice

You should make contact with free, independent advices agencies to talk to an adviser about your mortgage problems. The adviser could be able to increase your income and benefits, help you to disucss your options with your lender, help you to manage your money and guide you through any court action.

You can access free, indpendent advice from the following agencies: 

If you would like advice from the Housing Options team, please contact us as soon as possible.

   01327 871100

   Daventry District Council, Lodge Road, Daventry, NN11 4FP

   Mon-Thurs 9-5, Fri 9-4:30 


Are you a professional looking to refer a service user?

If you are a professional working with a person in mortgage arrears, you are able to refer them to us by using the Duty to Refer