Former Members of the Armed Forces

Are you a former or current member of the armed forces?

If you are a former or current member of the armed forces, and you are currently homeless, or threatened with homelessness in the next 56 days, we will try to work with you to prevent or relieve your homelessness.


Applying as homelessness before discharge

Internal Support:

You are likely to get information and advice from the Joint Service Housing Advice Office within the Ministry of Defence.

This service aims to help armed forces personnel and their dependants during resettlement and to assist with the transition to civilian life.

The service have a telephone advice line: 01252 787 574.

The service manage a range of schemes to help service personnel find civilian housing, including:

  • The MOD Referral Scheme
  • The Housing Matters Magazine
  • Single Person Accommodation Centre for the Ex-Services (SPACES)

If you are being supported by anyone in the armed forces, they are able to refer you to any housing options service through the Duty to Refer.

External Support:

You should take contact with the Housing Options team if you think you will be homeless after discharge from the armed forces. You will be asked to provide some evidence confirming your date of discharge.

If you are eligible and threatened with homelessness within the next 56 days, we will be able to assess your housing needs and create a Personal Housing Plan, to consider what steps you should take and what steps we should take to find you alternative accommodation.


Applying as homeless following discharge

If you are eligible and you have no accommodation available to you, we will try to help you to relieve your homelessness. We will look at whether you have a local connection to the District, and if you don't, refer you to an area where you do. We will complete an assessment of your housing circumstances and needs, and provide you with a Personal Housing Plan, to consider what steps you should take and what steps we should take to relieve your homelessness.

You may be provided with temporary accommodation if you are considered priority need and you have nowhere else to stay. You may fit into one of the following priority need categories:

  • You are pregnant or you have dependent children

  • You are vulnerable as a result of old age, mental illness, learning disability, physical disability or any other special reason

  • You are 16-17 years old (subject to a social services assessment)

  • You are under 21 years old and have been in care between 16 and 18 years old

  • You are over 21 and are vulnerable as a result of being in care

  • You are vulnerable as a result of fleeing accommodation due to violence

  • You are vulnerable as a result of being in custody

  • You are homeless or threatened with homelessness due to an emergency, including a floor or fire

  • You are vulnerable as a result of leaving the armed forces


We will assess whether you are considered vulnerable as a result of leaving the armed forces, taking into account the following factors:

  • The length of time spent in the forces

  • The type of service

  • Any time spent in military hospital

  • Any guidance from HM Forces medical and welfare advisors

  • The length of time since discharge, and whether accommodation has been obtained and maintained since discharge

  • Any support networks

Local Connection for Homeless People

When a person applies as homeless, we must make enquiries to establish whether you have a local connection. You would be considered to have a local connection if you:

  • Have been resident in the district for the last 6 months

  • Are employed in the district

  • Have family associations living in the district

  • Have any other special circumstance

Re-housing in the area of your base

If you have left the armed forces and are not yet working for another employer, you will not be able to show that you have a local connection through employment in the area. You may, however, be able to show that you have a local connection through the time you have spent living in the area.


Local Connection and HomeChoice

Although you may not have a local connection under national homelessness legislation, you may still be able to join our housing register, HomeChoice. You may be eligible to join the register without a local connection if:

  • You are currently serving in the regular forces

  • You were serving in the regular forces at any time in the five years preceding application

  • You are a bereaved spouse or civil partner of a serving member of the regular forces, the death was partly or wholly attributable to their service, and your MOD accommodation has or will cease as a result

  • You are an existing or former member of the reserve forces and are suffering from serious injury, illness or disability wholly or partly attributable to your service 


External Advice Agencies


  • Veteran's Housing Advice
    A national helpline aiming to help veterans access various services
    Telephone: 0808 802 1212
    Text: 81212
    Website & Live Chat: 

    Support for serving armed forces personnel (regular & reserves), veterans and family members
    Forcesline telephone helpline: 0800 731 4880

  • Royal British Legion 
    Support for serving members of the armed forces, veterans and their families
    Telephone: 0808 802 8080
    Website & Online Chat facility:

If you think you are homeless or threatened with homelessness, please contact us as soon as possible.

   01327 871100

   Daventry District Council, Lodge Road, Daventry, NN11 4FP

   Mon-Thurs 9-5, Fri 9-4:30 


Are you a professional looking to refer a service user?

If you are a professional working with a veteran or serving member of the armed forces, you are able to refer them to us by using the Duty to Refer