Care Leavers

Are you a care leaver facing homelessness?

If you have been in the care of a local authority, and you are currently homeless or threatened with homelessness in the next 56 days, we will try to work with you and the social services authority to prevent or relieve your homelessness.


If you have a Personal Advisor, they should refer you to our service, with your permission, if they are aware that you are homeless or threatened with homelessness. They can do this through the Duty to Refer.


We will complete a Full Housing Assessment with you to decide whether we have reason to believe that you are eligible and homeless or threatened with homelessness.

We will also assess whether we have reason to believe that you are priority need, particularly considering whether you fit into the following categories:


  • You are under 21 years old and have been in care between ages 16 and 18

  • You are over 21 and considered vulnerable after leaving care  


When assessing whether we consider you vulnerable as a result of leaving care after your 21st birthday, we will consider the following:

  • The length of time you were looked after, accommodated or fostered 

  • The reasons why you were in care

  • The length of time since you have left care

  • Whether you have obtained and maintained accommodation since you left care

  • What support networks you have, including family, friends and mentors

We would also take into account any other priority need categories you may fall into, which includes:

  • You or someone you reside with are pregnant

  • You have a dependent child in your full time care

  • You or someone you reside with are vulnerable as a result of old age, mental illness, learning disability, physical disability or any other special reason

  • You are homeless due to an emergency e.g. a flood or a fire

If we make an assessment that you have a priority need, we have a duty to provide you with temporary accommodation.

If you are a care leaver aged 18 to 24, you should continue to receive support from Children's Social Services, and should be allocated a Personal Advisor. Your Personal Advisor should provide you with a Pathway Plan, and they should assist you with a range of issues, including housing, benefits, education and training, employment and budgeting. Your Pathway Plan will influence your Personal Housing Plan, which will be agreed during your assessment.

We will be able to provide you with advice and assistance, which could include:

  • Checking whether Children's Social Services should help you

  • Helping you to apply to the HomeChoice register

  • Helping you to look for private rented properties

  • Assisting you to apply for supported housing, for example, Mayday Trust

  • Mediating with your friends and family

  • Making sure you have applied for Universal Credit and benefits

  • Refer you to agencies to help you with finances and budgeting

  • Help you with your deposit and upfront costs


If you think you are homeless or threatened with homelessness, please contact us as soon as possible.

   01327 871100

   Daventry District Council, Lodge Road, Daventry, NN11 4FP

   Mon-Thurs 9-5, Fri 9-4:30 


Useful Links


Northamptonshire Children's Social Services