Council Tax discounts, reductions and exemptions

Council Tax discounts and exemptions

There are a number of ways that your Council Tax could be reduced if you or your property meets certain conditions. Depending on your circumstances, you may be exempt from Council Tax.

Scroll down for information about the different discounts, reductions and exemptions or click on the following links:

Single person discount

A 25% single person discount maybe available when you are the only person aged 18 or over who lives in your home. 

Apply for a single person discount using the online application form.

Disregarded people

The full Council Tax is payable on a property when it is the residence of two or more occupants aged 18 or over.

When counting the number of adults in a property, some people can be ‘disregarded’ if they meet certain conditions. 

You will receive:

  • A 25% discount on your Council Tax bill if there is only one adult in your property who is not disregarded
  • A 50% discount if everyone in the property is disregarded
  • An exemption (100% discount) if everyone falls into certain disregarded groups


Find out more information about Disregarded People

Council Tax support

A reduction of up to 80% is available to households where people of working age have a combined low income. This discount is means tested. This means we look at the total income and the financial assets, such as bank accounts, bonds and shares, of all the people living in your home.

For households of pension age, a reduction of up to 100% is available. This is also means tested in the same way as the working age scheme.

Find out more information about Council Tax support and how to apply


Council Tax is not payable where certain conditions are met. 

An exemption can be applied to an occupied property when:

  • All the residents are aged 17 or under
  • All the residents are full-time students taking a qualifying course of education
  • It is used as hall of residence for students
  • All the residents are severely mentally impaired
  • A diplomat 
  • It is accommodation for the UK armed forces or visiting forces
  • It is an annexe which is part of another domestic property, and the person living in it is a dependent relative of a person living in the main property.


An exemption can be applied to an unoccupied property when:

  • It is owned and was last occupied by a registered charity. 
  • The person who would normally have to pay the council tax is in prison
  • The person who would normally have to pay the council tax is staying permanently in a care home, hostel or hospital
  • The person who would normally have to pay the council tax has died and they were the only owner or leaseholder (minimum term of six months). 
  • The law says nobody is allowed to live in it
  • It is being kept vacant for a religious minister to move in to
  • The person who would normally have to pay the council tax is living at another address where they are being cared for
  • The person who would normally have to pay the council tax is living at another address where they are caring for someone who is elderly, ill or disabled
  • The owner is a full-time student and living somewhere else to attend a qualifying course of education
  • The mortgagee has repossessed it
  • The person who would normally have to pay the council tax is a trustee in bankruptcy
  • It is an empty caravan pitch or boat mooring
  • It is part of another domestic property and cannot be rented out separately.


This is not a complete list and is for general guidance only. 

If you think your property could be exempt, please apply for an exemption via the  online application form.

Disabled band reduction

If you or someone (adult or child) who lives in your home is disabled, the amount you pay could be reduced by one band if your property has one of the following features:

  • Any room other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet that is needed to meet the needs of the disabled person (not including a bedroom because everybody needs a bedroom)
  • A second bathroom or kitchen, which is needed by the disabled person
  • Enough floor space for a wheelchair to be used indoors and a wheelchair is used indoors by the disabled person
  • We will need to visit your property to confirm it meets the requirements for a disabled band reduction.


Apply for a disabled band reduction using the  online application form.

Second homes, annexes, and empty properties

Second homes

A property that is furnished, but is not lived in as a main home, is known as a second home. There is no reduction available for a second home.

Second homes as part of employment

If you must live in a property because of your employment, but it is not your main home, then you can receive a 50 per cent reduction on your council tax bill for your second property. You must be able to provide a contract of employment that states it is a requirement of your job to live in the property

Apply for this discount using the  online application form.


A 50 per cent discount is available for an annexe (or similar self-contained part of a home) that is lived in as part of the main home or is the main home of a family member. The annexe must have its own banding and be classed as a separate property.

In this context a family member is a spouse, parent, child, grandparent, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece (and older generations of each, such as great grandparent).

If someone who is not a family member lives in the annexe, the discount does not apply.

Apply for a discount for an annexe using the  online application form.

Empty properties

Properties that are not used by anyone as their main home and are unfurnished are referred to as empty properties.

There are no discounts available for empty properties.

Please note that the Council Tax bill will be increased by 50% when a property has been empty for two years or more. This will mean that Council Tax will be charged at a rate of 150%

Applying for a Council Tax discount

Online application form: 

To apply for any of the discounts mentioned on this page please complete the online application form.  

To see how the Council uses your information please view the Privacy Notice for Council Tax.