Temporary Event Notices

Temporary Event Notices


Why do I need a temporary event notice?

The Licensing Act 2003 (Permitted Temporary Activities) (Notices) Regulations 2005 requires a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) if you wish to hold an occasional event.

You must give (serve) a TEN to West Northants Council (Daventry Area) no later than ten working days before the event.

You must also give a copy of the notice to the Police and Environmental Health no later than ten working days before the event.

To give a TEN you must be 18 years or older. You can give a maximum of five TENs per year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 50 TENs per year. A person cannot apply for a separate TEN on the same premises without a gap of at least 24 hours between events.

Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time (including staff running the event) and last no more than 168 hours.

A premises can only be authorised to hold a maximum of 15 temporary events over a maximum period of 21 days in any calendar year.

Activities where a TEN is required include:

  • selling alcohol (NB: if alcohol is provided at an event a sale may be deemed to be included in any entry or ticket fee);

  • serving alcohol to non-members of a private club;

  • providing entertainment (such as music, dancing or indoor sporting events); and

  • serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am (late night refreshment).

You will also need a TEN if a particular licensable activity is not included in the terms of the existing licence for the premises/club your event will be held at, for example holding a wedding.

Events held in private dwellings are generally not licensable unless those attending are charged for any of the above activities with a view to making a profit (including raising money for charity).

Schedules 1 and 2 of the Licensing Act 2003 provide fuller details of the definitions and exemptions relating to regulated entertainment and late night refreshment.

Further guidance can be found and here: TEN Guidance Notes (39).

The TEN should contain:

  • details of the licensable activities;

  • the event period;

  • the times when during that period the activities will take place;

  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises; and

  • any other required matters.

An activity that must be licensed must be carried out as detailed in the TEN that has been given.

How do I obtain a temporary event notice? 

You can apply for a temporary event notice:


A list of current licence fees can be found on the West Northants Council website.

The application fee should be paid at the time of your application.


Application process 

The TEN must be given in at least ten working days before the event.

Applications must be made on the prescribed forms and be accompanied by all relevant documents. The application fee should be paid at the time of your application.

West Northants Council (Daventry Area) will acknowledge receipt of the TEN by sending a notice to the premises user by the end of the first working day it was received or before the end of the second working day if the day the notice was received is not a working day

The premises user must also give notice to the Chief Police Officer and Environmental Health Officer no later than ten working days before the event period.

The Chief Police Officer and Environmental Health Officer who receives a notice and believes that the event would undermine the licensing objectives can serve an objection notice on the premises user. This notice must be served within 3 working days of receipt of the TEN.

West Northants Council (Daventry Area) must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. A counter notice may be issued if it is considered necessary for the promotion of the crime prevention objective. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

The Chief Police Officer and Environmental Health Officer can add a statement of conditions (taken from the premises licence) to the TEN. The conditions will apply to the TEN or the event will not go ahead. There is a right of appeal against the conditions unless it was a late application.

Counter notices may be provided by the West Northants Council (Daventry Area) if the number of permitted TENs has been exceeded.

Will tacit consent apply if I do not hear anything? 

Yes, as long as your application was complete, correctly served and we are not waiting for you to send us further information. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted after your application is received, if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of 3 working days.

Temporary Event Notice Activity and Temporary Event Notice Complaints 

Should you wish to complain about a temporary event notice activity or temporary event notice holder within the area of West Northants Council (Daventry Area), click on this link for contact details.

Service Complaints, Appeals, Failed Application Redress, Other Redress and Local Government Ombudsman

If you think we have done something wrong or are aggrieved by a decision made by West Northants Council (Daventry Area), please click on this link to see the options available to you.