Street Collection Licensing

 Street Collection Licensing 

Why do I need a licence?

To collect money or sell articles in a public place for the benefit of a charity or for other purposes you need a licence from West Northants Council (Daventry Area). This is a requirement of the Police, Factories, & c. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916, the Local Government Act 1972 and the Charities Act 1992.

A 'public place' is a 'place where the public has access'.

It is often assumed that collections held in shop doorways or car parks do not need a street collection licence because they are being held on 'privately owned land'. This is not true, as the legislation does not mention the ownership of the land or treat collections on 'privately owned land' as exempt from the licensing regulations. A shop doorway or car park is a 'public place' if the public has access at that time. 

A copy West Northants Council (Daventry Area) Regulations with regard to Street collections can be obtained from here: Daventry District Council (EH16).

How do I obtain a licence? 

Applications must be made by completing an application form and giving at least one months’ notice before the date of the collection. You must be considered a fit and proper person.

You can apply for a street collection licence:

You can also notify us of the results of a collection by:


There is no application fee.

Application Process

Applications must be made on the prescribed forms and be accompanied by all relevant documents.

Does tacit consent apply if I haven't heard anything after 28 days? 

Yes, as long as your application was complete, correctly served and we are not waiting for you to send us further information. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us within 28 days of a full application being submitted.

Licensed Activity and Licence Holder Complaints

Should you wish to complain about a licensed activity or licence holder within the area of West Northants Council (Daventry Area), click on this link for contact details.


Service Complaints, Appeals, Failed Application Redress, Other Redress and Local Government Ombudsman

If you think we have done something wrong or are aggrieved by a decision made by West Northants Council (Daventry Area), please click on this link to see the options available to you.