Small Lotteries (Raffles)

Small Society Lotteries (Raffles) 

Why do I need a permit?

Under the Gambling Act 2005, Daventry District Council have a regulatory obligations for issuing permits and permissions for:

  • alcohol-licensed premises (gaming machine permits);

  • unlicensed family entertainment centres (gaming machine permits;

  • prize gaming; and

  • clubs (club gaming permits and club machine permits).

Society lotteries are lotteries promoted for the benefit of a non-commercial society.  A society is non-commercial if it is:

  • established and conducted for charitable purposes; or

  • enables participation in, or supporting of, sport, athletics and cultural activities and for any other non-commercial purpose other than that of private gain.

The total value of tickets for sale for single lottery cannot exceed £20,000. The annual value of tickets for all lotteries per calendar year must not exceed £250,000.

If you plan to exceed either of these values, you must be licensed with the Gambling Commission.

How do I obtain a permit?

You must register your society lottery with Daventry District Council in the area where your principal office is located.  Download and complete the forms below and return with the appropriate fee:


A list of fees can be found here – Fees (GLP100).

The application process

Send the licence application and fee to Daventry District Council, Licensing.

Statement of Principles


Gambling Act 2005: Statement of Licensing Principles

The Gambling Act 2005 makes it a duty for a local authority to carry out its functions under the Act with a view to promoting the three licensing objectives:

  • preventing gambling from being a source of crime or disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime;

  • ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way, and

  • protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling.

The purpose of our Statement of Licensing Principles is to detail how the Daventry District Council will comply with that duty. The current statement may be found by clicking on link below:

Gambling Act Policy Statement

Does tacit consent apply if I do not hear anything after 28 days?

Yes, as long as your application was complete, correctly served and we are not waiting for you to send us further information. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us within 28 days of a full application being submitted.

Permitted Activity and Permit Holder Complaints

Should you wish to complain about a permitted activity or permit holder within the area of Daventry District Council, click on this link for contact details.