Personal Licensing

 Personal Licensing  

Why do I need a licence? 

The Licensing Act 2003 requires a personal licence to be issued to authorise a person to supply alcohol or allow the supply of alcohol at a premises which has a valid premises licence.

Personal licences are needed to supervise the sale of alcohol in any premises (including pubs, off licences, restaurants and hotels). 

Personal licences remain valid unless surrendered, suspended, revoked or declared forfeit by the courts. The requirement to renew personal licences was abolished from 1 April 2015 (personal licences issued before 1 April 2015 may have expiry dates on them, these licences remain valid).

If you are the holder of a personal licence you are still required by the Licensing Act 2003 to notify West Northants Council (Daventry Area) of the following: 

  • changes to a holder's name or address; 

  • any convictions for relevant offences; and 

  • any conviction for a foreign offence.

How do I obtain a licence?

You can apply for a licence by post, change personal details, report a lost or stolen licence and disclose any convictions by completing the forms below:


A list of current licence fees can be found on the West Northants Council website.

The application fee should be paid at the time of your application.

Application process

Applications must be made on the prescribed forms and be accompanied by all relevant documents. The application fee must be paid at the time of your application.

Will tacit consent apply if I do not hear anything within 28 days?

No. We must process your application and notify you that a licence has been granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us via email or phone. 

Licensed Activity and Licence Holder Complaints

Should you wish to complain about a licensed activity or licence holder within the area of West Northants Council (Daventry Area), click on this link for contact details.


Service Complaints, Appeals, Failed Application Redress, Other Redress and Local Government Ombudsman

If you think we have done something wrong or are aggrieved by a decision made by West Northants Council (Daventry Area), please click on this link to see the options available to you.