Gambling Permits

Gambling Permits 

Why do I need a gambling permit?

Under the Gambling Act 2005, West Northants Council (Daventry Area) have a regulatory obligations for issuing permits and permissions for:

  • alcohol-licensed premises (gaming machine permits);

  • unlicensed family entertainment centres (gaming machine permits;

  • prize gaming; and

  • clubs (club gaming permits and club machine permits).

For more information on each type of permit, visit the Gambling Commission website.

How do I obtain a gambling permit?

Applications must be made by completing an application form and giving at least one months’ notice before the date of the collection. You must be considered a fit and proper person.


A list of current licence fees can be found on the West Northants Council website.

The application fee should be paid at the time of your application.

Application process

Applications must be made on the prescribed forms and be accompanied by all relevant documents. The application fee must be paid at the time of your application.

Gaming machine permits - you must notify West Northants Council (Daventry Area) if you plan to have two machines of category C or D gaming machines.

You must apply for a licensed premises gaming machine permit if you would like to have more than two machines, two months before your existing permit is due to expire.

Notification of up to 2 gaming machines in an alcohol licensed premises/Gaming Machine Permit (New, Renewal, Variation and Transfer) (GLP11)

Conversion or New Grant/Change of Name of an Unlicensed Family Entertainment Centre Gaming Machine Permit (GLP12)

Application for the Conversion or New Grant/Change of Name of a Prize Gaming Permit (GLP13)

Club gaming permits and club machine permits - a club gaming permit allows up to three gaming machines made up of category B4, C or D gaming machines, plus equal chance prize gaming.

A club machine permit - allows up to three gaming machines made up of category B4, C and D gaming machines, but no other form of gaming.

Application for a Club Gaming Permit or Club Machine Permit (GLP14)

Will tacit consent apply if I do not hear anything within 28 days?

No. We must process your application and notify you that a licence has been granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us via email or phone. 

Licensed Activity and Licence Holder Complaints

Should you wish to complain about a licensed activity or licence holder within the area of West Northants Council (Daventry Area), click on this link for contact details.


Service Complaints, Appeals, Failed Application Redress, Other Redress and Local Government Ombudsman

If you think we have done something wrong or are aggrieved by a decision made by West Northants Council (Daventry Area), please click on this link to see the options available to you.