Food Premises Registration

Food Premises Registration 

Why do I need to register?

It is an offence under Article 6(2) of Regulation (EC) 852/2004 not to register every premises where you carry out food operations, including your home, and mobile or temporary premises such as stalls and vans.

If you make, prepare or handle food that comes from animals, for example meat or dairy products, other than for direct sale to the consumer, your premises may need to be approved by us before you can undertake the activity.

You may be fined, imprisoned for up to 2 years or both if you run a food business without registering.

You must register 28 days before your business starts operating.

How do I register?

You should apply, change, transfer or cancel a food premises registration online via .GOV.UK website.


Registration is free.

Application process

Complete your registration online via .GOV.UK website.


Does tacit consent apply if I haven't heard anything after 28 days?

Yes, as long as your application was complete, correctly served and we are not waiting for you to send us further information. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us within 28 days of a full application being submitted.

Licensed Activity and Licence Holder Complaints

Should you wish to complain about a licensed activity or licence holder within the area of West Northants Council (Daventry Area), click on this link for contact details.


Service Complaints, Appeals, Failed Application Redress, Other Redress and Local Government Ombudsman

If you think we have done something wrong or are aggrieved by a decision made by West Northants Council (Daventry Area), please click on this link to see the options available to you.