Environmental Permits

Environmental Permits

Why do I need a permit? 

Some facilities could harm the environment or human health unless they are controlled. The environmental permitting regime requires operators to obtain permits for some facilities, to register others as exempt and provides for ongoing supervision by regulators. The aim of the regime is to:

  • protect the environment so that statutory and Government policy environmental targets and outcomes are achieved; 

  • deliver permitting and compliance with permits and certain environmental targets effectively and efficiently in a way that provides increased clarity and minimises the administrative burden on both the regulator and the operators;

  • encourage regulators to promote best practice in the operation of facilities; and 

  • continue to fully implement European legislation. 

The regime covers facilities previously regulated under the Pollution Prevention and Control Regulations 2007, and the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2007, some parts of the Water Resources Act 1991, the Radioactive Substances Act 1993 and the Groundwater Regulations 2009.

You may need an environmental permit if you do an activity that could:

  • pollute the air, water or land;

  • increase flood risk; or

  • adversely affect land drainage.

You are breaking the law if you operate without a permit when you should have one.

How do I obtain a permit?

You can apply, change, transfer or cancel environmental permits via .GOV.UK website.


Defra set the fees for environment permits each year. There is an application fee and an annual subsistence fee which vary depending on the category of process for which the permit is being applied for and to a risk rating applied during inspections of the process.

Application process

Apply online via .GOV.UK website.

Will tacit consent apply if I do not hear anything within 28 days?

No. We must process your application and notify you that a licence has been granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us via email or phone. 

Licensed Activity and Licence Holder Complaints

Should you wish to complain about a licensed activity or licence holder within the area of West Northants Council (Daventry Area), click on this link for contact details.


Service Complaints, Appeals, Failed Application Redress, Other Redress and Local Government Ombudsman

If you think we have done something wrong or are aggrieved by a decision made by West Northants Council (Daventry Area), please click on this link to see the options available to you.