Dangerous Wild Animal Licensing


Dangerous Wild Animal Licensing 

Why do I need a licence?

The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 aims to ensure that there is no risk to the public where private individuals keep dangerous wild animals; and to safeguard the welfare of the animals.

Licences are required for any animal which appears on the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 Schedule. The Act does not apply to premises registered under their own specific legislation ie dangerous wild animals kept in a zoo, pet shop or registered scientific establishment.

The full conditions may be found in the regulations: The Dangerous Wild Animal Act 1976.


How do I obtain a licence?

To obtain a Dangerous Wild Animal Licence you will need agree to a number of licence conditions, which will cover:

  • not more than the number of animals stated on the licence shall be kept by the licensee, or in their absence, the person delegated by the licensee; 

  • no other animal specified in the Schedule to the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 shall be kept by the applicant at any time during the licence;

  • the animals to which this licence applies shall, at all times, be kept at the licensed address and shall not be moved from those premises;

  • a policy of insurance against liability for any damage caused by the animals shall be held by the licensee in his/her own name and in the name of the person delegated by the Licensee. The sum assured by the policy shall not be less than £500,000;

  • security of animal enclosures shall be maintained at all times; and 

  • in the event of escape of any of the animals the licensing authority shall be notified as soon as possible

You can only apply for a licence by post (online applications are not permitted) by completing the licence application form Dangerous Wild Animals Licence (AL20)



A list of current licence fees can be found on the West Northants Council website.

The application fee should be paid at the time of your application at time of your application.

Application process 

Applications must be made on the prescribed forms and be accompanied by all relevant documents. The application fee must be paid at the time of your application. You will also be required to pay any veterinary inspection fees before the licence is issued.


Will tacit consent apply if I do not hear anything within 28 days? 

No. We must process your application and notify you that a licence has been granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us via email or phone. 


Licensed Activity and Licence Holder Complaints

Should you wish to complain about a licensed activity or licence holder within the area of West Northants Council (Daventry Area), click on this link for contact details.


Service Complaints, Appeals, Failed Application Redress, Other Redress and Local Government Ombudsman

If you think we have done something wrong or are aggrieved by a decision made by West Northants Council (Daventry Area), please click on this link to see the options available to you.