Club Certificates


Club Certificates 

Why do I need a club certificate?

A club certificate is required under the Licensing Act 2003 to authorise the supply of alcohol and regulated entertainment in a qualifying club (a club where there is no sale, by retail, of alcohol (except to guests) as the member owns part of the alcohol stock and this is treated as the supply of alcohol, not sale. In order to constitute a qualifying club you must also satisfy the various requirements set out in the Licensing Act 2003 and the additional conditions listed below in relation to the supply of alcohol:

  • a person may not be given memberships or as a candidate for membership to any membership privileges without an interval of at least two days from their membership application or nomination and their membership being granted; 

  • that club rules state that those becoming a member without nomination or application cannot have membership privileges for at least two days between them becoming members and being admitted to the club;

  • that the club is established and conducted in good faith;

  • that the club has at least 25 members;

  • that alcohol is only supplied to members on the premises on behalf or by the club; and  

  • the additional conditions in relation to the supply of alcohol:

    • that alcohol purchased for and supplied by the club is done by members of club who are over 18 years of age and are elected to do so by the members; 

    • that no person at the expense of the club receives any commission, percentage or other similar payment in regard to the purchase of alcohol by the club; and 

    • that there are no arrangements for anyone to receive a financial benefit from supplying alcohol, apart from any benefit to the club or to any person indirectly from the supply giving a gain from running the club.

Registered industrial, provident societies and friendly societies will qualify for a club premises certificate, if alcohol purchase and supply is done under the control of the members or a committee of members.

How do I obtain a club certificate?

You can make the below applications online via the.GOV.UK website. This website also gives advice and guidance to help you with your application.

You can apply for a certificate or change by post (click on the appropriate links to download the required documents):
Premises Licence Applications and Full Variations (Blue Notice) (EAL7) Blue Notices are for premises licences applications, variations and club premises certificates. The notice should be displayed at the premises on A4 blue paper for 28 days. Day 1 is the day following the day the complete application is received at the office of West Northants Council (Daventry Area). Please be aware this document should be printed on blue paper as required by Regulation 25 of the Licensing Act 2003.

Apply by post:


A list of current licence fees can be found on the West Northants Council website.

Fees are payable for any type of application relating to a club premises certificates. The fee is based on the rateable value, is payable at the time of application. There is also an annual fee to be paid on the anniversary of the certificate being issued. 

The application fee should be paid at the time of your application.

Application process

Applications must be made on the prescribed forms and be accompanied by all relevant documents. The application fee should be paid at the time of your application.

You will also be required to submit a plan of the premises showing specific information regarding layout, a copy of the rules of the club and a club operating schedule.

A club operating schedule is a document which must be in a specific format and which includes information on:

  • the activities of the club; 

  • the times the activities are to take place;

  • other opening times;

  • if alcohol supplies are for consumption on or off the premises or both;

  • the steps that the club propose to take to promote the licensing objectives; and

  • any other information that is required.

If there are any alterations to the rules or name of the club, before or after the club premises certificate is issued, the club secretary must inform West Northants Council (Daventry Area) in writing giving full details. If a club premises certificate is in place it must be returned to West Northants Council (Daventry Area) at the same time.

If the registered address of the club changes the club secretary must give notice to West Northants Council (Daventry Area) of the change and provide the club premises certificate with the notice.

A club may apply to vary a certificate. The club premises certificate should accompany the application to West Northants Council (Daventry Area).

A Council Officer may inspect the premises before an application is considered.

Will tacit consent apply if I do not hear anything within 28 days?

Yes, as long as your application was complete, correctly served and we are not waiting for you to send us further information. This means that you will be able to act as the certificate application has been granted as long as there have been no valid objections received within the 28 day statutory period. Where a valid objection made, you will receive a letter notifying you and inviting you to attend a committee hearing (with at least 10 days’ notice). Where there is a valid objection the statutory period is extended by a further 28 days to a total of 56 days.


Licensed Activity and Licence Holder Complaints

Should you wish to complain about a licensed activity or licence holder within the area of West Northants Council (Daventry Area), click on this link for contact details.


Service Complaints, Appeals, Failed Application Redress, Other Redress and Local Government Ombudsman

If you think we have done something wrong or are aggrieved by a decision made by West Northants Council (Daventry Area), please click on this link to see the options available to you.