Animal Activities Licensing


Animal Activities Licensing  

Why do I need a licence? 

The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 (AL24) applies to anyone in the business of:

  • providing animal boarding (this includes, kennels, catteries, home boarders and doggy day care providers); 

  • dog breeding;

  • selling animals as pets; 

  • hiring out horses for riding / instruction; and

  • keeping or training animals for exhibition.

How do I obtain a licence? 

To obtain an animal activity licence you will need to be assessed to ensure that you meet the requirements of the national guidance and conditions which are a set of:

  • general conditions that apply to all licences: Procedural Guidance (AL1); and

  • specific conditions for each animal activity.

Below are links to national guidance and conditions issued by the Department for Food, Environment and Rural Affairs (DEFRA). This guidance and conditions apply to licences issued to authorise the following licensable activities:

The full conditions may be found in the regulations: The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) Regulations 2018.

You may find useful:

You can apply for a licence:

To apply for a new / renewal licence you must complete the:

  • Standard Application Profile (Section 1 Form); 

  • application for each activity you wish to be licensed for; and 

  • Applicant Declaration.

Applications must be made on the prescribed forms and be accompanied by all relevant documents. The application fee must be paid at the time of your application. You will also be required to pay any grant fees or veterinary inspection fees before your licence is issued if applicable to your licence application.


A list of current licence fees can be found here - Fees (AL100).

The application fee should be paid at the time of your application – click here for your payment options (add link).


Application process 

Once a complete application and fee has been received by Daventry District Council a Licensing / Environmental Health Officer will contact you to arrange your inspection(s).

Will tacit consent apply if I do not hear anything within 28 days?

No. We must process your application and notify you that a licence has been granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us via email or phone. 

Licensed Activity and Licence Holder Complaints

Should you wish to complain about a licensed activity or licence holder within the area of Daventry District Council, click on this link for contact details.

Service Complaints, Appeals, Failed Application Redress, Other Redress and Local Government Ombudsman

If you think we have done something wrong or are aggrieved by a decision made by Daventry District Council, please click on this link to see the options available to you.