Pollution control - Inspection and regulation

Environmental Permits (PPC)

Part B Processes and Installations - Inspection and Regulation of Premises

The Council is responsible for regulating certain industrial activities covered by the  Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 (EPR regulations).  If a company wants to carry out processes that may cause emissions to land, air or water they must apply for an Environmental permit to do so from either the Environment Agency or the Council.  The EPR Regulations were introduced under the Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999. The Environment Agency regulates industries with the greatest potential of causing pollution to land, air or water.  We regulate industries with less potential to pollute the environment. The EPR Regulations introduce three separate, but linked, systems of pollution control:


  • Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (IPPC), which covers installations known as A(1) installations, which are regulated by the Environment Agency. Examples include large iron and steel foundries, brickworks, chemical production, waste disposal etc;


  • Local authority Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (LA-IPPC) which activities known as A(2) activities, which are regulated by local authorities Examples include some smaller but similar activities to those under Part A(1);


  • Local authority Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC), which covers activities known as Part B activities, also regulated by local authorities Examples include:


Timber processes eg timber / chipboard manufacture and chemical timber treatment

Mineral processes eg quarrying, cement plant and mineral screening, grading and crushing

Animal and plant treatment processes eg animal rendering, animal feed compounding, pet food, composting and manure drying

Solvent and oil recovery processes eg petrol filling stations and dry cleaners

Coating processes eg printing, vehicle re-spraying and coating (paint, adhesives, powder, resin and ink)

Mobile crushing plant


This example list is not complete and if you are unsure you should contact the Environmental Improvement Team or look at the list of process process detailed in schedule 1 of the (EPR regulations). The DEFRA web site provides guidance notes for specific industry sectors. The notes set out emission limits for both operators and enforcement officers to work to.


All three systems require the operators of certain industrial and other installations to obtain an Environmental permit to operate. Regulators must set permit conditions based on the use of the Best Available Techniques (BAT) to control pollution. For Part A(1) and A(2) installations the permit conditions must cover pollution to all media: air, land and water. The Environmental permit may also cover energy efficiency, site restoration, noise, odour, waste minimisation, accident prevention and heat and vibrations. Permit conditions for Part B installations only cover emissions to air.


Installations regulated in West Northamptonshire Council Daventry area

The Council is required to keep a public register of process within its district. Currently there are 25 Part B installations regulated by the Council. The premises are issued with permits and inspected on a regular basis in accordance with the the DEFRA guidance.  The public register of all Part A(2) and Part B installations operating within the our area is also available for inspection free of charge at the Council Offices during normal office hours.  You should make an appointment with the Environmental Improvement team  if you wish to view this public register. 


How to apply for a Permit

Companies carrying out processes that could potentially cause emissions to either air, land or water must hold a permit.  To find out whether or not your company needs to apply for a permit please visit the GOV.UK website, or contact the Environmental Improvement Team. 


You can make your  application for a permit online by entering your postcode on the GOV.UK website.  You will need to decide whether your permit is a category A(2) or B permit.  If in doubt, please refer to the check list.  Further guidance on how to apply for your permit is detailed here. 


A statutory fee is charged for the application process and an annual fee is also charged.  The current list of fees and charges for prescribed processes can be found at the DEFRA section on the GOV.UK website.  Your process will be inspected by the Council, on a risk based schedule. 


Completed copies of the application form, together with the appropriate fee should be returned to:


Environmental Improvement

West Northamptonshire Council Daventry area

Lodge Road


NN11 4FP


Cheques should be made payable to West Northamptonshire Council. 


For  further advice about the regulatory process, or assistance with the application,  please use the link below to leave a message and an officer will contact you.

Contact us