If you require a licence, please download and complete the following form:
Please download these application guidance notes to help you. The Council also offers an assisted application service, for a charge. Please contact us on 0300 126 7000 to find out more.
Once a "duly made" (valid) application has been received with the required documentation and the fee, a Council Officer will arrange to inspect the property and determine if a licence can be issued.
To make a "duly made" (valid) application you must:
- Fully complete the application form
- Sign and return the declaration
- Pay the licence fee (by cheque made payable to West Northamptonshire Council or by card payment by telephoning 0300 126 7000)
- Submit the application form and all required documentation
A list of current licence fees can be found on the West Northants Council website or please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0300 126 7000.
Submitting your application
You can submit the application form and documentation by:
- Emailing email@example.com
- By post to:
West Northamptonshire Council (Daventry area)
Licences will normally be granted providing:
- The property is or can be made suitable for multiple occupation
- The applicant is a fit and proper person
- The proposed manager or agent of the property is a fit and proper person
- The management arrangements are satisfactory.
We aim to make a decision about the licence within 3 month of the receipt of a "duly made" application form. Licences are usually issued for a period of five years and a separate licence application is required for each property.
An application form must be completed in full along with the required supporting documentation for all licence renewals. Please see the above section, 'Applying for a HMO Licence' for the requirements of a 'duly made' application. Please ensure the application for a licence renewal is submitted in sufficient time to ensure continuity of the licence.
Variation of a HMO Licence
If there has been a material change in circumstance at a property which currently holds a HMO licence, a variation in licence maybe required. It will be necessary to apply for a variation where the licence holder proposes to increase the permitted occupancy.
Licences are not transferable and if the owners of the property have changed then a new licence application is required.
Use this form to tell us about:
- A change of address, or a new manager appointed
- A property being altered or extended and permitted number of occupants increased; or
- A variation due to policy or legislation changes
Please complete the Variation of a HMO Licence form and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org