HousesĀ In Multiple Occupation

houses avatar.jpg

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

A house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a property rented out by at least three people who are not from a single ‘household’ (for example a family) but share facilities like a bathroom and kitchen. It is sometimes called a ‘house share’.

New laws introduced in October 2018 state that a licence is required for a HMO or shared house if:

  • It is rented to five or more people who form more than one household
  • Some or all tenants share a toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities
  • At least one tenant pays rent (or their employer pays it for them)

HMOs must be managed in accordance with  the Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (England) Regulations 2006  

If you are a landlord of a HMO meeting the above criteria you must ensure you have a licence in order to avoid enforcement action. If you do not comply you may face a financial penalty of up to £30,000, or prosecution. You may also be required to repay an amount of rent back to your tenants. 

Apply for a HMO Licence

If you require a licence, please download and complete the following form:

Please download these application guidance notes to help you. The Council also offers an assisted application service, for a charge. Please contact us on 01327 871100 to find out more.

Once a "duly made" (valid) application has been received with the required documentation and the fee, a Council Officer will arrange to inspect the property and determine if a licence can be issued.

To make a "duly made" (valid) application you must:

  1. Fully complete the application form
  2. Sign and return the declaration
  3. Pay the licence fee (by cheque made payable to Daventry District Council or by card payment by telephoning 01327 871100)
  4. Submit the application form and all required documentation.

Licence fees

A standard HMO licence fee for up to 5 units of living accommodation is £737.55.

The additional HMO licence fee per unit for 6 or more units of living accommodation is £37.20.

For current HMO licence fees, charges and additional fees relating to housing please see our latest  list of fees and charges

Submitting your application

You can submit the application form and documentation by:

  • Emailing 
  • By post to:
    Environmental Improvement
    Daventry District Council
    Lodge Road
    NN11 4FP 


Licences will normally be granted providing:

  • The property is or can be made suitable for multiple occupation
  • The applicant is a fit and proper person
  • The proposed manager or agent of the property is a fit and proper person
  • The management arrangements are satisfactory.

 We aim to make a decision about the licence within 3 month of the receipt of a "duly made" application form. Licences are usually issued for a period of five years and a separate licence application is required for each property.

Licence renewals

An early renewal discount will be applied, at the discretion of the Council, when a valid and duly made renewal application is submitted at least 2 calendar months prior to the expiration of the current HMO licence.


Variation of a HMO Licence

If there has been a material change in circumstance at a property which currently holds a HMO licence, a variation in licence maybe required. It will be necessary to apply for a variation where the licence holder proposes to increase the permitted occupancy.

Licences are not transferable and if the owners of the property have changed then a new licence application is required.

Use this form to tell us about:

  • A change of address, or a new manager appointed
  • A property being altered or extended and permitted number of occupants increased; or
  • A variation due to policy or legislation changes.

Please complete the Variation of a HMO Licence form and return it to

Report a HMO

The licensing of HMOs helps to protect the health and safety of tenants, ensures that only suitable landlords have control of HMOs, and helps make sure that properties are managed properly.

If you live in or near a shared house that you believe may be unlicensed or in a poor state of repair, we would like to hear from you.

Please contact us:


Further guidance