To support the recovery of the high street as Government trading restrictions are relaxed, the Chancellor has announced the one-off payment 'Restart Grant'. This grant replaced the Local Restrictions Support Grant from April 2021 onwards for eligible businesses.
This scheme is available to qualifying non-essential retail, hospitality, leisure, accommodation, gym and sports and personal care businesses.
One-off grant payment amounts
Non-essential retail businesses:
- with a Rateable Value of £15,000 or less will receive £2,667
- with a Rateable Value of between £15,001 and £50,999 will receive £4,000
- with a Rateable Value of £51,000 or more will receive £6,000.
Qualifying hospitality, accommodation, leisure, personal care and gym business properties
- with a Rateable Value of £15,000 or less will receive £8,000
- with a Rateable Value of between £15,001 and £50,999 will receive £12,000
- with a Rateable Value of £51,000 or more will receive £18,000.
Please see below lists of exclusions for the Restart Grant scheme. These lists are not intended to be exhaustive and the Council will determine those cases where eligibility is unclear.
Non-essential retail exclusions
- food retailers, including food markets, supermarkets, convenience stores, corners shops, off licences
- pharmacies, chemists
- animal rescue centres and boarding facilities
- building merchants
- petrol stations
- vehicle repair and MOT services
- bicycle shops
- taxi and vehicle hire businesses
- education providers including tutoring services
- banks, building societies and other financial providers
- post offices
- funeral directors
- laundrettes and dry cleaners
- medical practices
- veterinary surgeries and pet shops
- agricultural supply shops
- garden centres
- storage and distribution facilities
- employment agencies and businesses
- office buildings
- automatic car washes
- mobility support shops.
- food kiosks and businesses whose main service is a takeaway (not applicable to those that have adapted to offer takeaways during periods of restrictions, in alignment with previous COVID-19 business grant schemes).
- all retail businesses
- coach tour operators, tour operators
- private dwellings
- education accommodation
- residential homes, care homes
- residential family centres
- beach huts.
Gym and sports exclusions
- home gyms, home exercise studios, home sports courts and home sports grounds.
Personal care exclusions
- businesses that only provide personal care goods, rather than services
- businesses used solely as training centres for staff, apprentices and others
- businesses providing dental services, opticians, audiology services
- chiropody, chiropractors, osteopaths and other medical or health services, including services which incorporate personal care services, treatments required by those with disabilities and services relating to mental health.
How to apply