What do I do if I think my rateable value is too high?


The method of appeal has changed with the 2017 revaluation.  The new system is known as Check Challenge Appeal and full details can be found on the Valuation Office's website

However if you make a check, challenge or appeal you must continue to pay the rate demand until a new rateable value is agreed. If there is a reduction, your local authority will refund any overpaid amount with interest.

Before you employ a rating adviser, you should check that they have the necessary knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance. Take great care and if necessary seek further advice before entering into any contract.


Challenges to rateable values can be made free of charge.


Contact us